The Challenges of Chronic Disease
Every day, millions of people with chronic diseases struggle to manage their symptoms.
• About 80% of older adults have one chronic disease.
• 68.4% of Medicare beneficiaries have two or more chronic diseases and 36.4% have four or more.
• Chronic diseases can affect a person’s ability to perform important activities, restricting their engagement in life and their enjoyment of family and friends.
The Cost of Chronic Diseases
The traditional medical model of caring for people with chronic diseases—which focuses more on the illness than on the patient—is expensive and often ineffective.
• More than two-thirds of all health care costs are for treating chronic diseases.
• 95% of health care costs for older Americans can be attributed to chronic diseases.
• Less than 1% of health care dollars are spent on prevention to improve overall health.